Sunday, September 10, 2006

a new character- can't decide




Could anyone help me decide which of these characters is best? (only the heads are different). I've already gotten some opinions, but I'm trying to make sure as the vote is somewhat split right now, so if you've already told me your opinion, thanks!, but if you haven't please do.

Right now I'm leaning towards the square-headed guy because he seems more endearing to me for some reason, while the other guy looks like he would be sort of dumb, which I'm not sure is the personality I want for him, but I really like the uniqueness of the triangle-head design, so I'm still not completely sure.

4 comments:

Zoƫ Moss said...

HMMM!! oh damn, this is a hard one! Mainly because both head designs work well and create good strong senses for the characters. The one of the left is definitely more of a protagonist friendly hero and looks to be on the young side, which is cool. It's an all-around good character. However, I'm seriously digging the weird shape of the character on the right. I think that there's a lot more personality going on in there. I think this is because the face is more defined by its funky shape that you don't usually see. The triangle and distortion definitely give it a more of its own personality. It also looks like it could be a lot more fun to work with!

However, both designs work. Maybe you could use both designs and create two characters?
But damn. I love these designs, no matter how you slice it. But definitely digging the triangular head!

mmcintos said...

hmm.... I am more attracted to the character on the far right. He has something quirky and appealing about him. I am also attracted to more exageratted shapes. I think they make more interesting lines when you start composing the shots. But that's just me =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Bevin, Rusty here...I think the one on the right is the more interesting of the two.

Bevin said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

This is interesting because when I asked around the labs, the opinions I got were split, and Jim liked the cube guy better, so I modeled the cube guy, but everyone on here seems to like the triangle guy better.

I actually tried putting his face into that shape in 3D and it didn't work as well. There's something really cool about the way his head looks in the 3/4 view drawing of the triangle guy that wasn't really happening in 3D.

Also I found a version of my story that worked better with it being a younger guy, so I guess it worked out okay.